Dave Castro is Director of the CrossFit Games and co-director of training for CrossFit. He has been involved with CrossFit since 2006 when he was stationed in Monterey, California, as a Navy SEAL, and he was instrumental – accidentally – in helping to create the CrossFit Games:
You know the CrossFit Games have grown fast since that first edition in 2007. But did you realize how fast?
- In 2011, the CrossFit Games Open format debuted.
- More than 26,000 athletes signed up to compete.
- In 2012, 69,240 people signed up to compete in the Open.
- In 2013, 138,000 people registered to compete.
- That is a year over year growth rate of 166% and 99%, respectively, with women’s growth in participation outpacing men’s (129% to 109%).
- Demonstrating CrossFit’s increasing popularity with older athletes, more than 20% of all participants in 2013 were Masters (40+).
Read all the stats — including cool growth charts — in How Fast Are the CrossFit Games Growing? The Numbers Tell the Story.
WOD: For Time
50 box jumps